It was unexpectedly good because the services from our guide and the host family were awesome. We could really taste the Maldivian style of food and visit local house at Hulhumale.
Unique Food Tour
Book in Advance
Visit a Local Market & Cook a Meal With a Maldivian Family
Prepare for an awakening of your senses as you visit the local market. Smells, sights, tastes, and sounds will give you an insight into life in the Maldives. Next, take a picturesque boat ride over to Hulhumale to join a family and cook up a feast with your purchases! Learn traditional ways of cooking and pick up some words in Dhivehi.
- From USD 95 per person
- Sunday to Thursday 11:00 – 15:00 subject to local family availability
- Jetty 5 Malé (opposite Bank of Ceylon).
- Collection from the airport, hotels in Malé, Hulhumale or the cruise tender jetty available upon request and is offered free of charge.
We are only able to collect from private resort islands in North and South Male Atolls. Permission must be gained from the resort to enable us to use their private jetty. Not all resorts will allow this service so please do confirm with the resort prior to booking. Charges for return transfer will be based on the distance the resort is located from Male.
- 4 hours
- Maximum 6 persons
- We request female guests to dress with modesty when visiting the homes of our local families, (shorts/skirts/dresses should cover the upper thigh and shoulders/chests should be fully covered).
- Maldivian cuisine is based upon key ingredients of fish, coconut and chili, along with either roshi (flat bread) or rice. Please be sure to advise of any dietary requirements at time of booking.
- Services of a Secret Paradise guide
- Traditional lunch in a local home
- All transfers from and to tour start point as part of the tour
- Local tax (10% service charge and 16% GST)
- Personal expenditure eg souvenirs and snacks
What to bring
- Hand Sanitizer, camera, money for personal expenditure.
About your guide
One of our experienced and professionally trained Maldivian tour guides will accompany you for the duration of the activity. All our guides hold First Aid and Lifeguard qualifications and have completed COVID-19 safety awareness training.
Enjoy authentic home-cooked Maldivian dishes.
Assist in selecting the ingredients from the local market in Malé.
Meet and spend time with a local family.
Help prepare local dishes and then enjoy eating them alongside the family.
As enjoyed by celebrity chef John Torode!
What to Expect
Your tour starts with a visit to the local market and the fish market on Malé, shopping for the tasty produce you will use in making a delicious lunch. Whilst at the market savor the aromatic smells and taste fruit and vegetables that you may have not come across before. Once you have made your purchases, take the public ferry to Hulhumale, a 20-minute crossing followed by a short walk to the home of your local family host.
You will be welcomed into the family and encouraged to participate in the preparation of each of the dishes, which include chopping vegetables, preparing the fish, and coconut grating and milking. Maldivian cuisine is not complicated so be prepared to want to try your hand at impressing your friends and family back home.
Once the cooking is complete, you’ll set the table and sit down to enjoy a freshly cooked meal with members of the family. Around the table, you can share your thoughts about the cooking process, learn more about the Maldives or you could learn some useful words that you can use during the remainder of your holiday.
Dietary requirements? Our local family can accommodate many but not all dietary requirements. Get in touch and we will be happy to discuss options with you.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
Easily the best tour operator for Maldives. Prompt responses, good rates, and excellent service. Would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Maldives.