Responsible Tourism Policy
Secret Paradise tours are designed to allow our guests to experience the best from the paradise we call home, whilst ensuring that there is limited or no negative impact on the community or the environment.
We are committed to informing and demonstrating to our competitors, our team, our partners and ultimately our guests that we are committed to following social and environmental best practices.
We use locally owned and operated infrastructure
1. To help put profits into local hands in order that they can benefit directly
2. To use services developed and managed by locals
We provide employment and business opportunities for local people
1. All our guides are locals
2. With the exception of the Sale Director our operations team are all local people
3. To assist in coaching and development of individuals to widen their experience and career opportunities
We support local charities and organisations
1. We encourage our guests to contribute any remaining local currency at the end of their trip to our nominated charity for that year – ARC Children’s Home
2. We support local charities through sponsorship by individuals for members of the team participating in fund raising events – ARC Children’s Home
3. We raise awareness of local initiatives through our social media sites.
We limit the physical impact of trips and work with our partners to educate and improve awareness within local the community.
1.Wherever possible we and our guests travel by public i.e. ferries and not private transport i.e. speedboats.
2.We encourage our guests through either group briefings or distribution of a Welcome leaflet to respect the environment and lead by example in minimising the impact of waste.
3.We encourage our guests to deal with waste appropriately, to lead by example and where possible take plastic waste home.
4.We request our divers to follow Project AWARE 10 Tips for Divers to Protect the Ocean Planet
5.We brief our snorkelers on reef etiquette
6.We coach and educate our suppliers and local partners in environmental awareness.
7.We are currently in the process of developing an eco friendly shopping bag to distribute to our guests and also the communities where we base our tours to increase awareness of the importance of reusing bags and in so doing reducing the volume of plastic bags. Our office team are committed to demonstrating responsible tourism actions.
8.We use both sides of paper and only print documents whenever it is necessary.
9.We ensure PCs and electrical items are turned off overnight
10.The production of our company literature and business cards are produced in the Maldives using local businesses.
We respect local customs and culture
1. We want our guests to learn about local customs and cultural practices whilst respecting local dress and cultural requirements
2. It is a practice on all tours to teach basic local language and this is included on our welcome leaflet
3. Our scheduled group tours include the opportunity to eat at the home of a local family and sample local cuisine ate in local style without the aid of cutlery
4. We provide guests with pre trip information to ensure they understand the requirements of travelling to a locally inhabited island as well as advising to visit their appropriate Foreign Office website to encourage awareness of social unrest or government requirements
5. A local guide accompanies our scheduled group trips from time of arrival to departure
6. A local Secret Paradise partner representative is based at each of the guesthouses with whom we work
Make a Difference in the Places you Travel
When you travel to far out places you often receive generous and gracious hospitality from local people, even when they don’t have much themselves.
We believe, we have a moral obligation to give something back to the people who live in the communities that we visit. It is simply the right thing to do to help people who struggle with basic needs for food, water, housing, health and safety.
How? We support WorldNomads.com Footprints program to fund local community projects to end poverty.
You Can Help Too!
When you buy travel insurance through WorldNomads.com, simply choose a project to support, and we will also donate 1% to the same project. Simply use this promotional code, when you get a quote and your small donation will have a positive effect on this community.