I can’t speak highly enough about SPM; from their attention to detail, highly skilled guides, and Ruth’s commitment to excellence they set a very high standard for tour companies.
Authentic Maldivian Food Tour
An Authentic Evening Meal Shared With a Maldivian Family
Gather around the table of our local family to taste authentic Maldivian cuisine freshly prepared for you by mother and daughter. Learn how they mix exotic flavors, cook with fresh ingredients, and gain an insight into local family life. Finish your evening with a coffee under the stars!
- USD 85 per person
- Sunday to Thursday: 19:30 – 21:30 subject to local family availability
- Collection from the airport, hotels in Malé and Hulhumale or the cruise tender jetty is offered free of charge.
We are unable to offer collection from resorts for this tour. Alternatively if you arrange transfer to the airport through the resort we offer return airport transfer free of charge.
- 2 hours
- Maximum 6 persons
- We request female guests to dress with modesty when visiting the homes of our local families, (shorts/skirts/dresses should at the very least covering the upper thigh and shoulders/chests should be fully covered).
- Maldivian cuisine comprises of three key ingredients, fish, coconut and chili, accompanied with roshi (flat bread) or rice. Please advise of any dietary requirements at time of booking.
- Services of a Secret Paradise guide
- Transfer to and from hotel
- Dinner and soft drinks
- Local tax (10% service charge and 12% GST)
What to bring
- Hand Sanitizer, camera, money for personal expenditure.
About your guide
One of our experienced and professionally trained Maldivian tour guides will accompany you for the duration of the activity. All our guides hold First Aid and Lifeguard qualifications and have completed COVID-19 safety awareness training.
Visit the home of a local Maldivian family.
Enjoy traditional Maldives dishes prepared by your host.
Finish your experience with coffee at an authentic local cafe.
What to Expect
Maldivian meals include the staple ingredients of fish, coconut, and chili. Rice and curries have also become an integral part of Maldivian food. Your dinner, prepared by our Hulhumale-based local family, will provide the opportunity to savor the exotic flavors of authentic Maldivian cuisine not often found in local restaurants.
Around the table, you can share your thoughts about the cooking process, learn more about the Maldives, or you could learn some useful words that you can use during the remainder of your holiday. In the traditional way, we finish our evening on the beachfront for coffee under the stars!
Dietary requirements? Our local family can accommodate some but not all dietary requirements, so if you are unsure get in touch and we will be happy to discuss options.
Hear From Our Previous Guests
It was unexpectedly good because the services from our guide and the host family were awesome. We could really taste the Maldivian style of food and visit local house at Hulhumale.