UP TO DATE TRAVEL ADVICE FOR TRAVELLING TO THE MALDIVES 2023
IS THE MALDIVES OPEN TO TOURISTS?
- The Maldives is open to everyone.
WHO CAN VISIT THE MALDIVES?
- All nationalities are welcome.
IS THERE A MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENT IN THE MALDIVES?
- No there is no minimum length of stay.
HOW DO I GET A MALDIVES VISA?
- A free 30-day tourist visa will be granted to all tourists upon arrival in Maldives providing all entry requirements as detailed below are met.
WHAT ARE THE MALDIVES ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
- You must have a confirmed pre-booking in an approved tourist facility for the duration of their stay and provide emergency contact information. Approved properties listed here. Or hold a pre-approved visa sponsorship issued by Maldives Immigration. Or provide proof of financial means for sufficient funds to support the stay in Maldives.
- A passport or a travel document with Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) with at least 1 months validity. (This validity period may be a different requirement for airlines or transit countries). Note passengers with an extended validity in their passports are not allowed to enter.
- A complete travel itinerary including return journey confirmed flight tickets.
- Entry requirements to their onward destinations; for example, the visa and passport validity.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable. Children under 1 year of age are exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination. Click here to check the Yellow Fever endemic countries.
- The IMUGA Traveler Declaration form must be completed within the 96 hour period prior to the time of your arrival in the Maldives. Once fully complete a QR code will be generated and this needs to be presented at the time of your international flight check in and at Maldives Immigration.
- There is no requirement to resubmit should the QR code expire as your details will already be logged in the Immigration system.
A complete travel itinerary (return journey confirmed tickets, prepaid confirmed hotel booking at a registered hotel, if not provide proof of financial means for sufficient funds to support the stay in Maldives) does not guarantee entry to Maldives. Entry will be granted at the port of entry after the determination of admissibility by Immigration officers, as in accordance with Section 7 and 8 of The Maldives Immigration Act 2007.
IS A PRE ARRIVAL COVID-19 TESTING CERTIFICATION REQUIRED IN THE MALDIVES?
- Effective from March 13th, 2022, PCR testing is not mandatory to enter the Maldives.
- All inbound Maldives travelers, regardless of vaccination status, are permitted to enter the country without requiring proof of a negative PCR test.
- The above includes all children regardless of age.
IF I WANT TO STAY LONGER THAN 30 DAYS IN THE MALDIVES CAN I EXTEND MY TOURIST VISA?
- Yes, tourist visa extensions are available to all long stay tourists.
- We recommend that you refer to the Maldives Immigration website, your travel agent or the property where you have booked your stay to confirm the documentation required for submission.
ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS TO WHERE I CAN STAY IN THE MALDIVES?
- Your stay must be in a tourist establishment registered and approved by the Ministry of Tourism.
- It is a mandatory requirement that you have a confirmed booking prior to travelling to the Maldives
- Note Airbnb listings are not registered properties and caution should be taken if using these accommodation providers as if not listed as an approved property you may not be able to board your international flight.
CAN I STAY ON MORE THAN ONE MALDIVES ISLAND?
- Yes, you are able to split your stay across all types of approved tourist accommodation facilities, providing the necessary guidelines are followed.
- Travel is allowed between vessels, resort islands and tourist guest houses islands.
WHAT IS THE TRANSFER PROCEDURE IN THE MALDIVES?
- Airport transfers will be through services provided by your pre-booked accommodation provider.
- It is usual for a representative from your accommodation provider to be at the airport to assist your onward transfer to your hotel.
WHAT IS THE DEPARTURE PROCEDURE FROM THE MALDIVES?
- You will need to complete the IMUGA Traveler Declaration form within the 96 hour period prior to your departure from the Maldives.
- The property where you are staying will advise you the evening prior to your departure day the time of your departure and will request any balance of payment for additional services provided that evening. Transfer time will be in line with your departure flight check in time or onward transfer requirement as far as possible. However, timings of scheduled speed boats or flights may dictate the time of transfer.
- At the Velana International Airport your luggage will pass through security at the departure area entrance before you check in at the appropriate airline counter. After check-in take the stairs to the right of the check in desks to pass through passport control and then onto another security check before you arrive in the departure lounge and duty free area. If you wish to exchange local currency back to your home currency this can be done at the airport BML exchange counters but you must have a receipt for an exchange of currency at the time of your arrival.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO LEAVE THE AIRPORT IF I AM ON A TRANSIT FLIGHT?
- Tourists in transit (one ticket from A-B with Male as transit destination) can not pass immigration unless they have a letter from the airline allowing them to do so.
- If your flight ticket has been purchased from destination A to Maldives and then a separate ticket Maldives – destination B, providing you need to collect your luggage and have accommodation booked you can clear immigration.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO CONSIDER BEFORE I TRAVEL TO THE MALDIVES?
- We recommend you take out travel insurance.
- We ask that you travel responsibly.
- Guidelines and requirements remain subject to review
We recommend that you also refer to the websites of the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Maldives for the most up to date information. We also advise to check your own home Foreign Office Travel Advice or seek consular assistance as part of your travel planning.
At Secret Paradise we have reviewed all our operational practices to ensure our guest’s comfort and safety. But without losing the memorable aspects of our experiences and service .
Want to find out how you can experience the Maldives in a safe and secure way? Take a visit to our website and select from tours, cruises and accommodation. Contact the Secret Paradise team to start your Maldives trip plan today!
For travel advice and information specific to local island guesthouses travel plans you can find details here.
The team at Secret Paradise have you covered.
Updated August 2023